Monday 18 January 2016

The Secrets Of Laos In A Bowl of Soup

09:56





In a recent stroke of luck, I was able to join my parents on a last-minute trip to Laos. Naturally, the first thing on my mind was: What will the food be like? Never having encountered Lao cuisine in the United States, I had no idea what to expect. So my palate was piqued when we arrived in Luang Prabang, the country's former northern capital at the confluence of the Mekong and Nam Khan rivers.

A Foodie Adventure



Once settled in we immediately sought out some local food and stumbled across a restaurant off the main road, named Bamboo Tree. Lured by the enticing scents of coconut and lemongrass and by a menu on which we recognized nothing -- always a good indicator of foodie adventure -- we sat down. The menu told of the restaurant's Lao chef and owner Linda Moukdavanh Rattana, who was raised cooking in her family's Lao restaurant and whose favorite dish was something called "Secret Soup," which combined classic local ingredients. Ordering it was a no-brainer.

Coconut Milk and Chilies

The soup arrived with a handsome buttery orange color that foretold of coconut milk and chilies, with green hints of basil and kaffir lime leaves. One slurp later I was in gastronomic exotica, floating through a savory journey of creamy coconut offset by tangy lemongrass, spicy ginger, citric lime, aromatic basil and kicking chili heat, rounded out by a rich harvest of vegetables. Somewhat to my culinary embarrassment, I am not usually a fan of coconut- and chili-based food -- Thai, mostly -- since I tend to find it too cloyingly sweet, spicy or oily. But this soup opened my taste buds to the complex yet comforting flavors these ingredients can have when plucked fresh and combined in a meticulous way that allows each subtle flavor to come forth. If this was Lao food, I needed to learn more. When I heard Linda offered cooking classes, I signed up.

Written by

We are Creative Blogger Theme Wavers which provides user friendly, effective and easy to use themes. Each support has free and providing HD support screen casting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2013 FOOD NEWS. All rights resevered. Designed by Templateism

Back To Top